I came up with this recipe last year for Hallowe’en and they went down a treat! So naturally I felt I had to share them with you lovely readers for this years festivities! I hope you’re all in the mood for devilish delights tonight during the Witching Hour!
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 140g plain chocolate
- 100ml milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 140g butter (extra for greasing)
- 140g sugar
- 3 eggs separated
- 4 tbsp crème fraiche
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Ingredients for Icing:
- 200g Icing Sugar
- Red Food Colouring
- 100g Butter (Soft)
- Pretzels (broken into three pieces for the horns)
- Break up the chocolate and place in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water until melted.
- Add the milk and cocoa powder and mix.
- Put the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks, then the crème fraiche and the melted chocolate mix.
- Sit the flour and soda then fold.
- In another bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff enough to hold firm peaks.
- Fold it into the main mixture.
- Place cupcake cases into a muffin tin (I chose red to go with the icing!)
- Pour in the mixture and cook at 180C for 20mins (checking often).
- Once completely cold, mix together the icing sugar, butter and food colouring until you have butter cream with a lovely deep red colour.
- Make sure the butter cream is not too runny as it needs to hold it’s shape once piped onto the cakes.
- Pipe on the icing and let it set for a minute.
- Add in the pieces of pretzels at the sides for horns.